Part 3: More Tips for Mind Maps
Mind Maps Guide
Tips for making perfect mind maps
One of the great things about mind maps is you don’t need a knowledge of intricate formatting rules to create them. But that doesn’t mean there aren’t a few best-practices you can incorporate to make your diagrams more readable.
- Use hierarchies. You can incorporate hierarchies in many ways, from font size to line thickness to color. The very center of your mind map should be large with bold lines radiating from it. With each new branch, reduce the font size and the thickness of your next branch lines. This will make it easy to distinguish each layer of your diagram quickly.
- Use images. Our brains are better at remembering visual content. Adding images to your mind map, especially when the goal is memorization, will greatly help with recall later on.
- Use shapes. When you’re not using images, different shapes are a great way to add visual elements to your mind maps.
- Use colors. Colors can be used to group topics or layers. You can also vary your saturation, starting at full saturation and decreasing it as you branch further and further from the central idea.
Where to start
You can go about creating your mind map in a couple of ways:
- Branch by branch. Focus on one branch at a time, adding all of the relevant sub-branches one by one until you reach the end. Then, move on to your next branch.
- Level by level. Start by adding every branch you want to explore, then move onto each branches next sub-branch. Some branches may end before others do; continue on until you reach the last sub-branch of your final branch.
- Free-flow. There’s no rule that says you have to develop your branch in a certain pattern. If you prefer to write down your ideas as they come to you, try doing a free-flow. Just remember to step back every now and then to reexamine your mind map as a whole.
Why choose Cacoo for creating mind maps?
You need the right tool at the right time to make great designs. That’s why it’s important to consider how diagramming tools fulfill your specific needs, rather than just reviewing an exhaustive list of features.
Cacoo is simple to use, easy to learn, and accessible from anywhere with an internet connection. Cloud-based diagramming allows you and your team to collaborate on diagrams in real-time, and share them with important stakeholders without forcing them to download any programs or even sign up for an account.
You can create diagrams in minutes; not just mind maps, but flowcharts, network diagrams, sitemaps, UML diagrams, wireframes, and more.
Cacoo can help organize your group’s workflow. With our Team plan, you can save diagrams into individual Projects, share diagrams automatically with groups, and get feedback in comments right in the app.
You’ll also get:
- Advanced exporting options (PNG, PDF, PPT, PostScript, or SVG)
- Revision history (see what changes were made and when)
- In-app chat (and commenting)
- Easy sharing (no downloading needed)
- Diagram embedding (embed diagrams into any webpage)
- Team management (invite people to your Organization, create groups, and assign roles)
- Advanced security (manage access to diagrams, so you know exactly who’s seeing it)
Try it out for yourself with our free 14-day trial. You can create diagrams, invite your team, and see if Cacoo is the right tool for you. No credit card required. No risk involved.
We also offer the Plus plan for those who don’t need our collaboration features but are still interested in the joining the 2.5 million users who depend on Cacoo for their diagramming needs.